Other Debit Cards Terms and Conditions
The following provisions on Debit Cards shall be known as the BPI Debit Card Agreement.
The term "Bank" shall refer to any of Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI), BPI Family Savings Bank, Inc. any member of the BPI Unibank, or any of their respective subsidiaries and affiliates. The terms "you" and/or "your" shall refer to the accountholder of any of the Bank of the Philippine Islands, BPI Family Savings Bank, Inc., any member of the BPI Unibank, or any of their respective subsidiaries and affiliates. The term “Branch” refers to a branch of the Bank.
The terms "Account" and/or "Accounts" shall refer to your deposit account(s) with the Bank.
1. Issuance of Debit Cards – You may be issued, at the sole discretion of the Bank, Debit Cards which you may use to access your Account(s) through the Bank’s or its affiliated ATMs or Point-of-Sale terminals / networks and effect such permitted transactions in relation therewith. You agree to sign the Debit Card promptly upon receipt thereof and to keep the Debit Card secure at all times.
2. Ownership of Debit Cards – Debit Cards remain at all times the property of the Bank. You agree that the Bank may, at its sole discretion, suspend, block, terminate or cancel the Debit Card at any time for any reason, with or without need of prior notice to you. Upon the Bank’s request, you agree to surrender the Debit Card to the Bank immediately. You agree that the Bank shall not be liable for the suspension, blocking, termination or cancellation of the Debit Card. The Debit Card shall be for your exclusive use and is not transferrable.
3. Joint Account Cards – If any Account is in the name of more than one person, the Bank may issue Debit Cards to some or all of you. In such cases, the Bank may implement / transfer debit instructions for such Accounts which are received from any one of you using any of the Debit Cards issued even though the joint account instructions are different, or terminated, until all Debit Cards issued to all of you have been returned to the Bank.
4. Report of Loss / Theft of Debit Cards – You agree to keep your Debit Card in a secure place at all times and to exercise due caution to prevent its loss, theft or misuse. You agree and undertake to immediately call 889-10000 (all areas with “02” area code), 1-800-188-89100 (domestic toll-free for PLDT) and +632 889-10000 (mobile phone and international calls) or submit a written report to any Branch on the loss or theft of any Debit Card issued to you. Cards that are captured for no apparent reason in any ATM shall be considered lost and must likewise be reported promptly. Any loss due to withdrawal / purchase / transfer of funds using any lost / stolen Debit Card, prior to receipt by Bank of such call, or prior to receipt by the Branch of such written report, shall be for your account. You acknowledge that the Bank has no obligation to issue a replacement Debit Card to you following the loss or theft of the Debit Card originally issued to you. However, in case of lost / damaged Debit Card, a fee shall be charged if you request for a card replacement.
5. Personal Identification Number (PIN) – You acknowledge that withdrawals / purchases / inquiries on your Account through the ATMS or POS can be made only by using a valid Debit Card together with your correct Personal Identification Number (PIN). A card is valid when it has the correct Card Verification Code (CVC), Joint Account Indicator (JAI), and Sequence Number. You likewise acknowledge that you were provided a temporary Initiating PIN together with the Debit Card. This Initiating PIN will allow you to nominate your own personalized PIN as your very first ATM transaction. You further acknowledge that the Initiating PIN will not allow you to do any withdrawal / purchase transactions on your Account from any ATM or POS. Full access to your Account may only be made with your personalized PIN.
You agree to personally nominate your own PIN promptly upon release of the Debit Card and its Initiating PIN. You acknowledge that failing to nominate your own PIN within two banking days from the date of the Debit Card release shall automatically deactivate the Debit Card’s operating status, and in such case you are required to personally request any Branch to have the Debit Card reactivated. You acknowledge that your personalized PIN is known only by you, not by anyone else, nor by the Bank.
You are required to keep your PIN confidential at all times. For your own protection, you agree never to disclose your PIN to anyone. You shall in all circumstances accept full responsibility for all transactions processed through the use of the Debit Card and the PIN whether or not the transactions were made with your knowledge or your authority. You shall hold the Bank free and harmless from any and all losses, damages or liabilities you shall suffer as a consequence or result of your disclosure of your PIN.
6. Express Payment System (EPS) – The Debit Card allows you to use the facility known as the “Express Payment System” (EPS) for payment of goods and services purchased from participating merchants. Whenever the Debit Card is used to make payments through the EPS facility, you must key in your PIN and retain the cardholder’s copy of the transaction slip. The purchased amount is automatically debited from your Account through POS. The Bank makes no representation or warranty on any of the goods and services offered by the merchants and is not responsible if the goods or services are in any way deficient or otherwise unsatisfactory. Should you have complaints relating to any merchant, or any of the goods and services purchased from any of the merchant, the matter should be resolved with the merchant directly, provided that, nothing herein shall relieve you from any obligations to the Bank arising from or in connection with the use of the Debit Card.
Any Debit Card transaction which may be questioned shall be subject to a Bank investigation, which may include among others, the verification of transaction records and confirmation with you and / or the merchant. After the investigation, the Bank has the right and is hereby authorized to automatically, without need of any further notice, act or deed, debit / credit the Account and the merchant’s account depending on the results of the said investigation.
7. ATM Usage – The Debit Card is accepted at BPI and BPI Family Savings Bank ATMs and ATMs of other financial institutions, which are members of BancNet, or the Cirrus ATM network or such other ATM networks that may be designated by the Bank from time to time.
You authorize the Bank to automatically debit from your Account the appropriate amount corresponding to the amount of the withdrawal you make, or its equivalent in allowable currency and in accordance with the Bank’s record of transactions. The amount you may withdraw within and outside the Philippines shall be subject to such limits as the Bank may set. Such limits shall be subject to change from time to time by the Bank at its own discretion.ATM transactions performed at BancNet ATMs within the Philippines or other accepting ATM networks will be subject to a fee and will be debited from the Account withdrawn from at the time of posting of the transaction or on the last banking day of the month.
You understand and agree that the Bank does not have any control over the participants of the ATM or other networks through which you may access your Account(s), or the ATM themselves, or the procedures or controls such ATM or other network participants adopt in regard to data / information processing. Hence, the Bank shall not be liable for any loss or damage of whatever nature incurred by you (i) in instances where you are unable to use your Debit Card or avail of any service due to disruption or failure of the ATM or other network or communication facilities linking the same, or (ii) arising out of any failure, delay or rejection regarding the use of your Debit Card or the availment of any service, or (iii) caused by or due to unauthorized or fraudulent access or utilization of your Debit Card or any service. You understand and agree that the transaction coursed through any of these networks shall be subject to transaction fees as determined by the networks through which the transactions were coursed.
8. International ATM Access – The Bank has existing arrangements with International Networks that would allow BPI Debit Cards to be used outside the Philippines. For international ATM withdrawals, you authorize the Bank to debit from your Account the equivalent amount of any withdrawal in currencies other than the currency of your Account. The Bank shall base the equivalent amount on the exchange rates determined by the International Network. You consent that in order to use your Debit Card for withdrawals abroad, you must request activation of its International Access by calling call 889-10000 (all areas with “02” area code), 1-800-188-89100 (domestic toll-free for PLDT) and +632 889-10000 (mobile phone and international calls) or visiting any Branch, subject to a verification process. International Access activation through 89-100 889-10000 (all areas with “02” area code), 1-800-188-89100 (domestic toll-free for PLDT) and +632 889-10000 (mobile phone and international calls) is real time whilst request through Branch will be effected the next banking day.
Subject to the preceding paragraph, any international withdrawal made with a Debit Card against your Account in the Philippines constitutes a disbursement of the Account in the Philippines and a remittance to the country where the transaction was effected and shall be subject to the laws and regulations of both the Philippines and the country where such transactions were made.
Cash withdrawals outside the Philippines shall be in the currency of the institution owning the ATM from where such transactions were made. Cash withdrawals are also subject to exchange controls, regulations or limitations in effect in the country where the ATM used is situated and will be converted using the prevailing exchange rate at the time the transaction is posted on the Account. Transactions shall be subject to international transaction fees as determined by the international network through which the transactions were coursed, likewise subject to the prevailing exchange rate at the time the transaction was posted on the Account.
Whenever you use the Debit Card in ATMs outside the Philippines, you agree that the processing of your Debit Card transactions shall be subject to the collection, storage and communication of all data, such as Account balance, relating to your Accounts. The processing of your transactions may be performed, whole or in part, electronically. Accordingly, apart from the Bank, there may be other entities which shall have access to, and may have to collect, store or communicate, data relating to your Accounts in the processing of your Debit Card transactions. Whenever you use your Debit Card in ATMs outside the Philippines, you consent to (i) the collection, storage, communication and processing of all pertinent data, such as your Account balance by any means necessary to maintain appropriate transaction and Account records, (ii) the release and transmission of all these necessary data to participants and processors within the network, (iii) the retention of these data by the network and (iv) the compliance of the network with all applicable laws and regulations governing disclosure of information to which they are subject.
You also acknowledge and agree that transactions at non-BPI / BPI Family Savings ATMs in the Philippines that display the Cirrus brand marks are international in nature and are therefore subject to international service charges.
9. Consent to Processing of Information – You expressly agree and consent, without need of notice, to the Bank’s collection, recording, organization, storage, updating, retrieval, consultation, use, consolidation, blocking, erasure or destruction of all information relating to you in connection with, or arising from, this BPI Debit Card Agreement and/or the use of the Debit Card, and to the Bank’s disclosure of any such information to any or all of the following: (i) its directors, officers, employees, advisers, auditors, agents and authorized representatives; (ii) its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates and related interests, whether organized in the Philippines or in other jurisdictions; (iii) participating merchants, payments technology company(ies), credit information investigation companies, financial institutions, credit bureaus, loyalty program partners, consumer reporting or reference agencies, network, marketing and promotional partners, insurers, and other relevant external parties, whether based in the Philippines or other jurisdictions; (iv) service providers engaged by the Bank, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates and related interests, whether based within or outside the Philippines; (v) judicial, governmental, supervisory, regulatory or equivalent body having authority or jurisdiction over the Bank, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates and related interests; (vi) such persons or entities as required by the laws or regulations of any country with jurisdiction over the affairs or business of the Bank, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates and related interests; (vii) stock exchange on which the shares or other securities of Bank, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates and related interests are listed pursuant to its rules; (viii) persons or entities engaged by the Bank, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates and related interests, to facilitate administration, servicing, and implementation of the Debit Card and other Bank’s products, services, facilities and channels; (ix) any potential transferee or assignee of the Bank’s rights and/or obligations under the relevant contracts or agreements; and, (x) such other persons or entities as the Bank may deem as having authority or right to such information, as and when required by the circumstances.
10. Offer to Participate in Promos – You hereby authorize the Bank and its partner institutions to offer you participation to promotional offers, advertisements, surveys or such other similar programs by communicating to you in writing, or by electronic mail, or by facsimile transmission, or by short messaging services (SMS), or by such other electronic transmission channels which the Bank, at its option, considers appropriate and effective, or through the Bank channels or any one of them including posting in the Bank’s website.
11. Disclaimer of Warranties – All warranties, conditions and other terms, implied by law or statute, are excluded from this BPI DEBIT CARD AGREEMENT, including, but not limited to, the warranty that the use of the Debit Card (i) will meet your requirements, (ii) will be uninterrupted, timely, secure or free from error, and (iii) will be accepted or honored at all merchant establishments or all ATMs mentioned in paragraphs 7 and 8.
12. Compliance with Existing Laws – You hereby warrant that your use of the Debit Card does not and will not violate any anti-money laundering law as well as other applicable laws, rules, or regulations. By signing this BPI DEBIT CARD AGREEMENT or using the Debit Card, you agree to render the Bank, its officers, employees, and representatives, free and harmless and indemnified, from any liabilities, damages, suits, or causes of action whatsoever which may arise from any violation of the said laws, rules, or regulations. Moreover, the Bank upon reasonable suspicion of fraud, irregularity, or anomaly, involving the Debit Card, may automatically block the use thereof, with or without notice, and initiate investigation.
13. Agreement to the BPI DEBIT CARD AGREEMENT and Terms and Conditions – Your signature herein, or your use of the Debit Card, constitutes your agreement to and acceptance of this BPI DEBIT CARD AGREEMENT and the Terms and Conditions of the Bank of the Philippine Islands governing PRODUCTS, SERVICES, FACILITIES, AND CHANNELS (collectively, the “Agreements”). You hereby acknowledge that you fully understand the corresponding risks attendant to the availment of the Bank’s products, facilities, services, and channels. You agree to any and all supplement(s), modification(s), or amendment(s) of the Agreements, notices of which shall be posted in the Bank’s premises, website, or any other channel available to the Bank.
14. Governing Law and Venue – This BPI DEBIT CARD AGREEMENT shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Republic of the Philippines. Any dispute arising hereunder shall be submitted to the exclusive jurisdiction of the proper courts of Makati City, Philippines.
15. Inquiries or Complaints - Bank of the Philippine Islands is regulated by the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP). For inquiries or complaints, you may call BPI at 889-10000 (all areas with “02” area code), 1-800-188-89100 (domestic toll-free for PLDT) and +632 889-10000 (mobile phone and international calls). You may also contact BSP Financial Consumer Protection Department at (02) 8708-7087.
BPI is a proud member of