Press releases
May 22, 2020

The Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) says preparing for a post-pandemic world for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) begins with observing people’s changing habits and behaviors and developing digital capabilities to support such behaviors.

“Before, as business owners, when we see lines outside, we feel good about it. We see that, ‘okay, this is revenue.’ But now, it’s more about addressing customer behavior. So these are the things that will really change. SMEs must have the tools to mitigate this,” said Louie Cruz, Sales Group Head for BPI Business Banking, in a recent webinar for its SME clients.

“Given the situation now, with physical distancing, digital or e-commerce is actually benefitting from the situation. The new normal doesn’t tell you to change your business entirely. It’s more about having a plan or including as part of your growth the digital aspect of doing business,” he added.

BPI’s Business Banking group noted an 18% increase in the digital transactions of its clients. Bank-wide, total number of transactions increased from 72% pre-ECQ to 90% during ECQ.

“The capacity of BPI’s digitalization is really being tested and we were able to cope with the increasing demands on our systems. We want our SME clients to have that same digital advantage in their own businesses,” he continued.

The bank believes that adopting a digital mindset will help companies in their operations—from settling their bills, supplier payments, salary payments, and other financial transactions. For retailers and SMEs, mobile and online banking will also help them stay connected with their customers.

One such digital tool for SMEs is BPI’s BizLink, an online facility for business clients.

BPI Business Banking Head Eric Luchangco said tools like BizLink will enable businesses to do routine transactions online, such as downloading bank statements, transferring and collecting via automatic bills arrangement, and others.

“As businesses adjust to the changing consumer behavior, it is also important to prepare their back-end processes. And when they build their digital capabilities now, they will be ready for the resurgence in their businesses when the pandemic ends,” he said.

Right now, BPI focuses on helping its current clients through loan reprieves, the availment of new products and services, or trusted business advice.

“We are reaching out to clients through our relationship managers and even through digital tools such as webinars. We believe that the more we help our clients overcome current challenges, the better we, as banks, will be in the long run. After all, banks do well when the clients do well,” he said.

May 22, 2020

Related articles

BPI Securities sees potential in undervalued stocks amid easing of lockdown

BPI Securities Corporation, the stock brokerage arm of the Bank of the Philippine Islands
  • Covid-19

BanKo readies micro-entrepreneurs for digital shift in financial services

BanKo readies micro-entrepreneurs for digital shift in financial services.
  • Microfinance

BanKo urges micro-entrepreneurs to go digital

BPI Direct BanKo, the microfinance arm of the Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI), has advise
  • Covid-19

Branch holiday schedule

Our branches will be closed on December 24, 25, 30, and 31, 2020, and January 1, 2021
  • Branch updates

BPI Foundation sets up scholarship fund for COVID-19 medical front liners’ next of kin

BPI Foundation officially launched its “Pagpugay” scholarship program to support the next of k
  • Covid-19

BPI, Ayala Corporation and Globe donate Php 5M to Philippine Red Cross for health care protection

The Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI), alongside Ayala Corporation and Globe Telecom
  • Covid-19

BPI: Digital banking enabled the rise of hyperlocal entrepreneurs

The COVID-19 situation that forced the world to implement limited mobility and strict social d
  • Covid-19

BPI Foundation awards Php 2.0 million cash grants to social enterprises

Ten social enterprises (SEs) received cash grants, exclusive mentorship opportunities
  • BPI Foundation
Need more help?

Get all the help for your banking needs.