Public Advisory about the COVID-19 Email Scam
Protect yourself from Cyber Fraud. We have received reports about emails asking people to click on a link so that their accounts will not be deactivated as a result of the COVID-19 crisis. Please do not entertain such emails. They come from scammers who trick people into revealing personal and sensitive information.
Cybersecurity is a shared responsibility. All of us have a role to play in ensuring the safety of our bank accounts.
Below are some guidelines from the Bankers Association of the Philippines (BAP):
- Ignore any suspicious emails, calls, or text messages, and report them to concerned banks immediately. This includes not opening / clicking any links.
- If you are concerned about the authenticity of the email/call/text message, contact your bank immediately and provide all necessary details about the email/call/text message.
- Use only the official apps of your banks. Check your bank’s official pages / website to learn more.
- Remember that your banks will never request for your personal information, account number, or any passwords or One-Time PINs (OTPs).
- Protect your passwords either by changing your passwords regularly, or by creating strong passwords to deter potential hackers.
- Avoid using a shared network or shared computer when doing financial or other sensitive transactions since hackers may access your information.
Published on April 24, 2020